Monday, April 12, 2010

THEN LET ME BE GHETTO !
     
       It’s the constant phrase always thrown my way. “you’re ghetto”. Each time , I never get mad. However, its gets tiring. At this age I expect the capacities of people’s minds to expand, but Im afraid they don’t. I KNOW who I am. Which means I have KNOWLEDGE  of myself. So why take your time to decided when your opinion matters, when it really doesn’t? Of course this is why I never care when people call me ghetto.  However, in my opinion, if these things were considered there will be less ignorant people in my presence. 
  1. I can talk the same EXACT  way and come from somewhere differently than where I grew up, and I will not be called ghetto. Let’s say, beverly hills. (These same people clown me from sounding “proper”, you see the ignorance,  I mean irony ?)
  2. How can you have anything to say about where I live when you live 5 minutes away? Watts is surrounded by other poor areas, South Central, Lynwood, Southgate, and last but not least COMPTON! But for some reason these people still fix their mind sets to believe that somehow they have it better, why? True, the Nickersons are projects. Brick Buildings consisting of over 1000 apartments but these buildings do not make us any less smarter, any less poorer, or any less  human than anyone in the surrounding neighborhoods. We don’t get more food stamps, more payless shoes, more rats and roaches, more gunshots then your neighborhood (and I bet $$$ that its much less!). So stop with stereotyping, you’re not going anywhere. 
  3. Thirdly, the judgmental part of these attitudes often stem from parents, in my opinion. I had a friend who lived in Compton once. Her mom told me to not go to Spelman College because it was “like the projects”. One, this was rude considering the fact she’s a grown ass woman and knew where I stayed. And two, what sense does that make??? The inside of her house was clean. But when I say they did NOT have a front or back yard .... She lives in a run down house in Compton and she’s pointing fingers, your parents are dumb. They should know better.
   I can go on for years with this list and the world will still be the same. The point i’m trying to make is people judge harshly off their insecurities. You are ashamed of where you come from so you try and distinguish yourself against something else? It happens all the time. Fat girls talk about dark girls. CooI/popular people chastise the nerdy/smart people. It’s an ongoing cycle. But, you know the old saying, “people with glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”.  Eventually the finger will be pointing at you and the I’ll be the only one laughing. That’s how life is. I really don’t care about people calling me ghetto. I never have. As long as you know where I come from and were I’m going, there are no discrepancies. I’m real, I’m blunt, I’m smart, and I’m beautiful, I can’t please everyone right? Right :) 

0 comments: