Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dear Nicki Minaj, you can’t sit with us !

    I’ve been on Nicki for awhile. I first heard on Lil’ Wayne’s Da Drought 3, “Can’t Stop, won’t Stop”. She was fireee! She ended up releasing more shit and doing interviews and I was really amazed. There was  new female rapper in the game and she was DOPE! Then along came twitter .... And Barbie Nation, and green wigs and eye shadow.  I am not the one to knock originality and uniqueness. I love Lady Gaga for wearing a bird’s nest on her face and I don’t even like her album. But I respect the boldness. But Nicki....I just cannot get with all the sudden changes. First she was raw, straight out of Queens and of course we loved that. And then she switched it up to be the preppy, preppy pretty Barbie. Even that was fine. But now, she is a FREAK. Like, not in a good way. Ass shots, breast implants, green wigs & eyeshadow, metallic suits, NICKI who are you trying to be??? All Im seeing is a mixture of Lil’ Kim and Lady Gaga in ALL of her videos and performances. Although she said she is not trying to mock Lil’ Kim, she is. 

lil-kim-vs-nicki-minaj.jpg

Be original. The barbie idea wasn’t a bad idea. Calling your fans barbies and kens and creating this whole new nation where you embrace fans was an EXCELLENT marketing strategy. Choose something and stick to it, otherwise you lose credibility (in my book). Don’t get cocky and claim  you are the first to ever do it, pay homage. Too many people support her without any common since. Girls walk around with a weave half blond & half black and they are copying Nicki Minaj. Why not Cruella Deville? I feel like too many times we give artists too much credit for the shit that they do. Just because they make more money while doing it, does not make them the originator or creator. If we follow each other for the rest of our lives then we’ll keep going in circles ... 

0 comments: